Module dates: January 11-February 12
For interpreters, being able to understand the effects prescription drugs have the on mood, sensation, thinking, and behavior of our clients is critical. This module, designed with Daniel Lundberg, will focus on the three pillars of psychopharmacology: symptoms, medications, and side effects, and discuss how each may impact our work as interpreters. Psychiatric medications can come up in a variety of settings, including annual medical appointments, psychiatric medication check up, nurse visits in educational settings, and more.
This module will cover:
- Major groups of psychiatric medications and their corresponding diagnoses.
- Possible impacts psychiatric medications have on language (receptive and expressive).
- The use of case studies to apply learning to patient medical charts.
- Numerous and readily available resources on diagnosis, medications and additional strategies for effective communication with patients.
This module will require about 20 hours of work. There are no set meeting times, but the module is designed for participants to go through together for richer discussion. All work must be completed by 11:59pm on February 12. See Course Outline below for an overview of the course.
Come expand your understanding of psychopharmacology with us!
Modules are offered through Canvas online learning management system.
- You must have high-speed internet access and a tablet or computer that supports:
- Ability to work online and type or video record discussion posts.
- Ability to record videos.
- Ability to upload videos to YouTube for sharing with others in Canvas.
- Ability to access streamed video content.
To register, participants must:
- Work in the United States or U.S. territories
- Hold RID, NAD, or BEI certification
- Have a minimum of 3 years interpreting experience
Note: No exceptions to the registration requirements can be made due to our agreement with RSA. Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) is the federal department that funds our project and it is in our agreement that the CATIE Center Behavioral Health Interpreting modules be limited to those with national certification. National certification is defined as RID, BEI, and NAD.
Registration Fee: $40
Module is filled. You may sign up for a waiting list if a spot becomes available.
Subscribe to stay up-to-date!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest announcements and updates.