Module Dates: June 15th – July 20th, 2020
If you missed it when we offered our modules in 2018 and 2019, here is an opportunity to take advantage of the CATIE Center’s module, Intro to Domestic Violence and Sexual Violence.
There is a huge need for trained interpreters in domestic violence and sexual violence (DVSV) settings. Having training can mean the difference between making a survivor feel empowered or retraumatized. Working successfully in this niche requires specialty knowledge and skills to be successful.
This module covers:
- Why domestic violence and sexual assault happens.
- How trauma impacts language.
- Different settings and systems in which interpreters work.
- Interpreting considerations for the trauma informed practitioner.
- Self-care practices that will keep us and the people we work with healthy.
- Steps and resources for further training.
This module will require about 20 hours of work. There are no set meeting times, but topics are opened weekly to give participants richer discussion and learning opportunities. All work must be completed by 11:59pm on July 20. No extensions will be offered. See Course Outline below for an overview of the course.
Please join us to enhance your understanding of this worthwhile work!
Modules are offered through Canvas online learning management system.
- You must have high-speed internet access and a tablet or computer that supports:
- Ability to work online and type or video record discussion posts.
- Ability to record videos.
- Ability to upload videos to YouTube for sharing with others in Canvas.
- Ability to access streamed video content.
Registration Fee: $40
To register, participants must:
- Work in the United States or U.S. territories
- Hold RID, NAD, or BEI certification
- Have a minimum of 3 years interpreting experience
Note: No exceptions to the registration requirements can be made due to our agreement with RSA. Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) is the federal department that funds our project and it is in our agreement that the CATIE Center Behavioral Health Interpreting modules be limited to those with national certification. National certification is defined as RID, BEI, and NAD.
Subscribe to stay up-to-date!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest announcements and updates.