Self-Care for Sign Language Interpreters
A Webshop in Canvas
Available November 8-December 15, 2021
- Created around a presentation by Dr. Ayo Maria Gooden on October 27, 2021 delivered in spoken English with ASL interpretation and real-time captioning
- This post now reflects an updated description and objectives and offering of the presentation for PPO credit.
About the Webshop
As you continue to face the pandemic, COVID-19, you are told to prepare for another more aggressive virus than COVID-19, the delta variant. After sheltering in for a year and a half, job losses, children staying home while learning/trying to learn, the loss of family and friends (from illnesses, murder, suicide, and drugs), interpersonal relationships have been strained more than ever. There is a critical need for self-care. Self-care is essential for your survival, healing, and revitalization. Self-care can heal current illnesses, prevent illnesses, or prevent them from becoming worse. Self-care can help you enhance your work or school performance. The training, Self-Care Strategies for Sign Language Interpreters, will address how to implement self-care.
Successful participants from this webshop will be able to:
- Describe how to do a self-analysis.
- Explain how to make better choices resulting in more happiness
- Explain how to assess whether-or-not you are taking care of your physical, mental, and spiritual health
- Identify how definitions of self-care are shaped by race, gender and other aspects of identity
- Describe how re-framing history can be an act of self-care.
- List at least 3 self-care strategies.
About the Presenter
Ayo Maria Gooden, Ph.D., ABPBC is a Licensed Psychologist and Board Certified African Centered/Black Psychologist, Fellow in full-time private practice in West Chester, PA. “Ayo” means “joy” in the West African Yoruba language. She specializes in Black, multi-cultural/ bi-racial issues and countering/eliminating racism. She works with all ethnic groups using cognitive behavioral therapy and African-Centered Psychology with individuals, couples, and families (children, teens, adults). She is a consultant, public speaker and a Lincoln University, PA graduate class of 1974. Dr. Ayo (pronounced Ah-yo) is the first in her family to earn a college degree.
In 2008, she was honored as one of 33 Blacks to ever earn a doctorate in psychology from the University of Cincinnati since 1819. She earned her MA and Ph.D. in clinical psychology and is a former university professor and administrator and has worked in the mental health field for over 47 years. As the Director of the Act101/T.I.M.E. Program and the Learning Resource Center at Lincoln University, Dr. Ayo assisted students with low high school grade point averages and low SAT scores to succeed and excel academically. She is the host on the weekly talk show, Don’t Get It Twisted/Hot101.net. addressing Melanic (People of Color) issues.
Dr. Ayo is the President of the Delaware Valley Association of Black Psychologists and the Co-Founder/First President of the Kentuckiana Chapter of Black Psychologists. Dr. Ayo is the author of the book, A Single Bracelet Does Not Jingle: Finding Your Ideal Love Partner, Making Love Last and Ending Unhealthy Relationships: A Multi-Racial Examination of Love Relationships. This book is designed for teens and adults to learn how to be healthy individuals and how you can find healthy friends and life partners. It examines how race and racism impact relationships. A Single Bracelet also teaches how to communicate effectively and how to make good decisions. Dr. Ayo is also the co-author of African Americans, European Americans, and Pathological Stereotypes: An African-Centered Perspective. Williams, M. T., Gooden, A. M., & Davis, D. (2012). In Psychology of Culture, G. R. Hayes & M. H. Bryant, eds., Nova Science Publishers. ISBN-13: 978-1-62257-274-8.
Join the Webshop
You can enroll in the webshop now.
- Already have a Canvas account: https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/PRYR8K.
- Need a free Canvas account: https://canvas.instructure.com/register and use the following join code: PRYR8K
- Forgot your password, go to: https://canvas.instructure.com/login/canvas
CEUs:This webshop will offer .15 RID CMP continuing education units in professional studies with PPO credit. St. Catherine University is an RID-approved CMP sponsor.
CEUs for this webshop will be posted to RID member transcripts by December 18, 2021.