About Body Language
Body Language is an online program presenting various body and healthcare systems and procedures in English and ASL.
The grant funding supporting these courses ended September 30, 2016.
You can still access the archived course materials for self-study here.
Body Language contents
- Intro to Healthcare Discourse
- Common questions asked during the health history and physical interview
- How different cultural perspectives and life experiences may affect a patient’s perspective of the healthcare system
- Cardio Workout
- Blood pressure, heart attacks, angioplasty, aneurysm and atrial fibrillation
- No More Digestive Distress
- The digestive system, acid reflux and the colonoscopy procedure
- It’s All in the Lungs
- How the lungs work, asthma, pneumonia, and lung cancer
- Meat on Your Bones
- Biceps and triceps, tendons and ligaments, how the knees work, arthritis, and hip replacement surgery
- Dealing with Diabetes
- Symptoms of diabetes, hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, managing diabetes, and types of diabetes
How it works
For every topic, you:
- Read about the topic in English.
- Record yourself explaining the topic in ASL.
- Analyze your explanation. Can you use more classifiers or improve your use of space?
- Watch ASL explanations of the topic. Focus on classifier usage and use of space.
- Record yourself explaining the topic in ASL again.
- Write about your work.
Although this new combined module doesn’t allow posting work or interacting with other users, you can still follow the steps and document your work on your own computer.
We are no longer providing CEUs for Body Language. To explore CEU credit options contact an RID-approved CMP sponsor.
Ready to get started?
Click the link below!Access Body Language