February 5–March 12, 2018
Are you interested in doing ASL interpreting work in addiction and recovery settings, but want more foundation before you start? Have you been in this setting but are ready to deepen your knowledge to be more effective in the work? This module was designed with contributions from Keven Poore, Dr. Deb Guthmann, and Arlyn Anderson, and covers a wide range of topics to help you start developing best practices in this area.
This module will cover:
- Language considerations, including common vocabulary and interpreting strategies.
- Theories of addiction and recovery to help you frame the goals of each setting.
- Information about the recovery experience of addicts who are Deaf.
- An overview of the most common addiction and recovery settings that may be encountered.
- Healthy self-care practices to help us do behavioral health work.
- Suggestions for further training.
Learning happens through video lectures, discussion boards, and knowledge check-ins (activities).
Our consumers, both hearing and Deaf, deserve interpreters who are qualified in this work so that consumers have their best chance for recovery. We look forward to seeing you in the module!
Registration fee: $40
Registration for this module has now closed.
How to access Introduction to Addiction and Recovery Interpreting
Within 3 business days of submitting payment, you will receive an email invitation to join the course from Instructure Canvas. TIP: add email@example.com to your contact list so this email doesn’t go to your spam folder.
Follow the prompts to join the course. It’s easy!
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellations must be in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will be issued for cancellations requested within seven days of registration, as long as course content has not been accessed. Refunds will not be issued after February 12.
Bridget Sabatke is the course facilitator.
Language of Addiction and Recovery
- Why learn about language?
- Vocabulary of Intoxicants
What is Addiction?
- Why define addiction?
- Addiction and Stigma
- Nature of Addiction
- Nurture of Addiction
- Definitions of Addiction
- Theories of Addiction and Recovery
- Cycle of Addiction
- Stages of Change
- Confidentiality boundaries and dual relationships
- English to ASL Interpreting Strategies
- ASL to English Interpreting Strategies
- CDIs in Addiction and Recovery Settings
Addiction and Recovery Work is Mental Health
- Addiction and Recovery work is mental health
- Assessments and Intake
Exploring Various Addiction and Recovery Settings
- Introduction to Recovery Settings
- Harm Reduction
- Half-way or Sober House
- Self-help groups
12 Step Groups
- Exploring 12-step groups
- 12 Step Texts
Course Evaluation and Post-Assessment